The writer of Genesis tells us that God created us all in God’s image and likeness. The Psalmist proclaims that we are only a little lower than angels. Scripture as a whole proclaims us children of God. As creations of God and recipients of God’s grace in Jesus Christ we share some amazing attributes.
It’s a paradox; just as we share many things in common as humans, we are also very different. God has created each one of us unique for a distinct and purposeful role. We are made different to make a difference!
At Transforming Church, we call this your Intentional Difference – your I.D. The reality is that 85% of what you can do, most people can also do. 10% of what you can do, others can do with the proper training. But 5% of what you can do, only you can do they way you do it. That 5% is your I.D.!
Your I.D. is the purposeful and determined use of that which is naturally different about you. What would happen if you took what is natural in you and decided to intentionally invest in it and unleash it?
There are six dimensions of your Intentional Difference:
- Critical Outcome: These are your predictable, measurable, unique and notably excellent results that make you . . . you. It is your brand. It is what others always know they will receive from you.
- Driving Passion: This is your energized, internal appetite for things that simply demand action. These are the parts of you that you just cannot ignore.
- Assimilated Experience: This is the historical perspective that shapes, informs, and directs your behavior.
- Cumulative Knowledge: This is your unique retention and purposeful use of the information that you have accumulated in your life.
- Emergent Skill: This is your innate ability that finds automatic and repeated expression in your life.
- Prevailing Talent: This is your spontaneous, observable, reliable, and measurable patterns of thinking, feeling, and behaving.
Each one of the six dimensions is unique and the combination of these makes up your Intentional Difference, your 5%, you I.D.! What would happen if you became more I tune with and more intentional about growing and unleashing these six dimensions in your life? What would happen if, instead of spending most of your time doing what most people can do, or even what some people can do, you invested in your 5%!
And what would happen if your church devoted itself to identifying the I.D. of each of its members and freed them to leverage that difference in serving God and the church? That’s so much more than filling blanks on a church organizational chart or “signing up to do something for the church”!
You were made different to make a difference and your church is made up of men and women and children who were made different to make a difference together!
To read more, check out our book Your Intentional Difference by Ken Tucker, Shane Roberson, and Todd Hahn. You can find it here.
And to learn more about how we can help apply Intentional Difference principles in your church, contact us here!